Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Much Needed Reminder

I took a me day today. Its been a very long time since I did that.

Henry woke up at 9:30 but was kind enough to fall back to sleep until 10. Silas was willing to eat while laying down with me, nursing and sleeping makes me nervous but I was so exhausted I couldn't physically sit up and feed him at the same time, it just wasn't going to work.  When we all finally were up we ran up to my mothers to take a requested item to my sister that was out harassing I mean visiting my our mother.

Henry asked for a drink while we were there and I found some chocolate milk in the fridge, the expiration date had passed (by a couple of days) but there was no odd smell or bad taste so I thought it was safe... An hour and a half or so later while he threw up all over the floor, all over Silas, all over me, I began to think that maybe the milk wasn't so safe after all. And of course the bouts of vomit happened just when Si decided he was starving. Have you ever tried to comfort a child that is actively vomiting while breastfeeding another? Its not in my top ten list of fun things to do. Henry finally stopped puking (and after we ALL had a quick scrub down in the shower) was out cold on the couch -that NEVER happens!!! he is a sleep in his bed and only his bed kind of kid- while Si knocked out in my arms and was carefully transferred to his recliner.

I made dinner, cleaned the kitchen, swept the main floor, and made two different kinds of dessert all while both of my boys slept within my sight and Pandora played my favorite station. Today, turned into a day that I desperately needed, I had a legitimate excuse to NOT be at church. Not that I didn't want to go, but lets face it today I just didn't want to go and having a child that can't go more than 4 minutes without puking seemed like a good reason to forgo it.

So I did something I haven't done in a long time. I made a big pot of gumbo! With fresh peppers, some of which were from my very own garden and onions and gigantic heirloom tomatoes! Last night I invited all my family to come to dinner tonight. My parents, brother and his wife, friend and her sister and in-laws RSVP'd. So instead of being lazy I HAD to do something.  In addition to the gumbo that I could make in my sleep, I tried two recipes from Pinterest one for a Malted Milk Cake this is the second time I have tried this cake and the flavor was incredible but the cake ended up being sticky and it fell in the center. I didn't even bother icing it, but it did get eaten! The second Cake was supposed to be The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake - it was good I think it lacked a round flavor, and had a bitter after taste but that's just me everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

I was so very glad to have everyone over, even if it meant a lot of dishes and some extra work. It kept me busy and made me remember that I was good at something even if there were a few disasters along the way... did I mention the fact that I burnt half the peppers to the bottom of the pot, and started a small fire in my oven while baking the cakes? Typical misadventures of this girl but it ended up being a pretty stellar day and being able to spend a day or several hours in the kitchen doing something I love, for people I love was probably the best therapy I have had in a long time and it was I will admit something I was in desperate need of.

No comments:

Post a Comment