Friday, April 12, 2013

A Phone Call Away

Its the simple little things that I see people take for granted everyday that I have the most difficult time with. They are things that I did not often enough express my gratitude for and things that I miss dearly. Today the thing that I wanted more than anything was just to be able to call him.

I just wanted to be able to call him up at work and hear his voice. See how his day was going, and see what our plans were for the upcoming weekend.  To be able to discuss how Henry rocked at gymnastics today and tell him that Grace was kind of whiney but looking forward to getting to be home this weekend.

The ability to just call or text him anytime I felt like it and knowing I would hear back from him momentarily is something that I took for granted. We talked so often whether via text, instant message, Voxer, email or even a good old fashioned phone call we were in constant contact. I knew what was going on at his office and he knew what was going on at home. In fact he worked less than 5 minutes away so if I wanted to  I could throw the kids into the car and run over to his office just to say hi and get a hug or a quick kiss if the mood stuck, and sometimes it did.  And sometimes I would call him and tell him I just needed him to come home for a few minutes, and the last few months while I have been so sick, he did, often.

Just to know how he is doing, what he is up to and who he is with would make all the difference in the world to me right now. I ache to hear him. I cried while running errands today because I reached for my phone to call him at work just to check in. I stopped myself before I hit send but it was something so natural, something I was so used to that I didn't even think twice about it.  Now, I think about it, often.

No comments:

Post a Comment