Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bedtime

Putting the kids together used to be a happy time it meant that it was finally time to start winding down and that I would get to decompress from the days activities with my sweetheart.  It was hardly exciting but honestly knowing the kids were safe and sound in their beds and having the comfort of our nightly routine was something I throughly enjoyed.  We seldom ventured farther than the couch after the kids were in bed, whether it was to watch a movie together, or what Chase wanted to watch ie MTV Garbage or whatever sporting event was taking place that night however,  I knew that my reinforcements were here and that if the kids got up Chase would promptly return them to bed. He was so good at getting them both back to bed. Sometimes he would give in and bring Henry down for a few minutes but that was because he could convince him to cuddle with him.

On the off chance that I had an evening away from home, whether with relief society or book club Chase would never complain about 1. having the kids to himself for the evening and 2. putting them to bed. In his last week of life he really encouraged me to go off to a relief society dinner so he could have a night with just the kids.

The text I received is what follows :



Since Chase's passing, both of my children have been having issues with their bedtime routine. Grace doesn't want to pray and Henry has a meltdown if I don't pray just right.

Grace's bedtime trouble also has coincided with daylight savings, "but the sun's not asleep yet!" and they have been making monsters at school, very helpful to the child that needs another reason not to go to bed.

I miss Chase the most as the sun goes down and the children are fighting sleep.  He was my greatest helpmate. I really don't know how to do any of this without him.

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Em. Maybe try introducing a new step into the bedtime routine. Something that's new to them that they'll look forward to every night. Maybe a fun little poem you say every nigh or something they can participate in. It might help.

    ReplyDelete