Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Introductions are in Order

How does one begin a blog about starting over after a life altering event?  I guess a single blog post at a time. 

Perhaps, introducing myself would be a good start.

 Hello I am Auntie Em I have always been a fan of The Wizard of Oz and when my nephew was born the coveted title was officially bestowed upon me. It is one of my favorite things to be called, probably just short of Mom, and maybe just Em. I am a 28 year old mother of two, with a third due at the end of July-beginning of August.  I am the Jane of All Trades and master of none. I enjoy photography, crochet and other various crafting activities.  I have been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom for the last three years and I love spending time with my family watching my children learn and grow.

I have a five year old little girl that has an autism spectrum diagnosis of PDD.   Meaning she isn't quite up to where she should be developmentally, her motor skills are not quite up to par and she has some speech issues but she attends two different preschools and receives the additional help she needs to overcome her delays and is improving leaps and bound every day. She loves to be outside and do all the things that a normal five year old would love to do.  She is incredibly bright, funny and a huge sweetheart.  She makes friends wherever she goes and is such a loving child that you can't help but fall for her. 

My two year old son was born with Pierre Robin and has 10 surgeries to date. Pierre Robin is something that not many people know about and is typically associated with many other scary things. However my sons Pierre Robin is the most basic kind you can get (which we are going to count as a good thing) basically his lower jaw was too small when he was born so he couldn't breathe because there wasn't enough room in his mouth for his tongue. He had mandibular distraction (we lengthened his jaw 22mm on either side) when he was 12 days old and has had several follow up surgeries since then. A cleft palate is also part of Pierre Robin and we have had all the adventures that cleft palate parents get to experience as well.  He has had issues with poor muscle tone and as miracles would happen he started walking three weeks ago.  Due to the cleft palate (which is now repaired) and the poor muscle tone he hasn't been able to learn to speak YET! He is learning American Sign Language (ASL) and is a super smart kid he has about 60 signs he can use on a daily basis and is learning more every day! 

What makes me different from all the other moms out there in the blogging world, how is my plight any different from their day to day? Up until recently I would have told you that maybe I'm different because of my two very different children that both face their own challenges on a daily basis but now I have a different answer, well my two children are still part of it but I have something else that now gives me a new title, its one I am NOT proud to bear however it is one that currently defines me.  I am a mother of two, almost three and I am also now a widow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment